8/27/2006

Mama poo-poo!!

We've been working on potty training for a year now! Super O goes through periods where she's interested, then she's not interested. Did I tell you how stubborn she is? Well, recently we've been going poop in the potty! Out of nowhere, she'll just say "Mama, poo-poo". We run to the bathroom and sure enough, she goes. She won't do number 1 on the toilet, but she's a pro at #2. By the way, "Mama, poo-poo" is the closest she comes to a full sentence.

I've tried everything I can think of to get her trained. We've bought real underwear (Nemo and Elmo, her favorites). I've used stickers and small toys as rewards. I've begged, I've pleaded. I've even ignored it all together. Nothing works with this kid. I guess she figures that superheros don't have to worry about everyday things like where they relieve themselves.

Any ideas? Feel free to post a comment with a suggestion.

5 comments:

  1. This is how I did the potty-training thing. It only worked because everyone involved cooperated. When each one was 2-1/2 years old, I talked to them about being big boys and no longer wearing diapers. They had quit taking a bottle when they were one, so they knew what "big boy" meant. I started this on a Saturday. I made a big show of taking him to the store, letting him pick out his underwear and his potty chair,(Of course, we didn't use that very much). I also let him look at toys, but didn't buy any at that time. I then took the diapers and threw them in the trash in front of him. We then took him to potty every 30 minutes. I changed a lot of underwear that day, but by the end of the week, he was wearing underwear without wetting them at all. I was able to do this because his sitter did the same thing I did during the day while I was at work. He was already not wetting his diapers at night and during naps, his body was already getting used to going only when conscious of it, but he adapted well. It took a whole lot of patience, something I am not really blessed with, but it was worth it in the long run. He really had no option. He had to either have wet undies or go in the potty. Hope some part of that helps. Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    The blog looks great and Super O looks loke a super sweetie. Being a single parent is tough. My super O" is starting high school this week. (GULP) As a single dad, I know exactly how you're feeling.

    Walter

    ReplyDelete
  3. The summer is a perfect time to potty train. Leave her in panties, no shorts, less laundry. If/when she pees on herself she will get an immmediate awareness. She will not like being wet, and you'll be done in no time. So much easier that winter (when they are wearing so much they don't connect, and MUCH less laundry to do!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazycelt, I agree totally. I did it in the summer, starting on a Saturday like I said and did have to wash underwear quite a bit for a day or two, but he did not like feeling wet and he saw his diapers go into the trash, so he accepted it. I feel like when you start, you should keep going and not stop. If they feel like you will give in, they will just keep wetting themselves or not cooperating. That is JMO.

    Walter, It is great to see hear from a single dad. I have a great respect for any single parent and I am sure you are excited and nervous about high school. Good luck.

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh fine, you have time for this but not to e-mail your aunty!

    ReplyDelete