10/12/2006

Soldiers Are People Too

I'm going to take a moment away from the Adventures of Super O! to talk about something that I've not really spent any time thinking about. The war in the Middle East. I know it's happening, but I've never really been into politics and I don't watch the news because it depresses me. To be honest, I don't have time to think about anything except bills, work, and raising my daughter.

I see people in uniform when I'm out shopping or at McDonalds and I realize that they could be on their way to Iraq or Afghanistan...or maybe they just got home. When I see them, I want to walk up to them and say "Thank you for fighting for my little girl's freedom!", but I tend to be emotional and I get choked up very easily. I don't want to look foolish. Maybe I should just do it. Do they want to hear things like that? Or do they just want to blend in and be like any other person waiting for their lunch?

Anyway, I was surfing around and came upon a milblog (short for military blog). I started reading some of the posts and as expected, I got choked up and actually cried a few times. It doesn't matter how I feel about the war, or how I feel about the people living in the middle east. It doesn't matter if the politicians running this country are morons or the smartest people in the world. We have men and women who have given up their lives (literally and figuratively) to fight for our freedom! Men who have children they've never met. Women who left children at home with their husbands or parents or friends. People who don't necessarily believe in what they're doing, but who believe in the people who are doing it. These are the heroes of our time. These are the people we should be looking up to. These are the people I will teach my daughter about. Those are the people I want to thank!

If you want to read thoughts and stories from our soldiers, visit The Sandbox. I also have a link in the side bar if you don't bookmark it. There's also a link to Operation AC - US Military Service Members Virtual Carebox. This is a website that allows you to "adopt" a service member. They need everyday things just like we do...homemade brownies, cigarettes, magazines, potato chips, movies, music, you name it. If you can manage it, adopt a service member and bring a smile to a soldiers face! Let them know that someone at home is thinking about them!

1 comment:

  1. Nice comments about soldiers!

    http://privatenotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete