7/14/2008

Titties! (aka Kitties)

Am I crazy? Really...do I have a sane brain cell left in my head? We have 2 dogs in the house and 4 outside. We also have a hamster, 2 ponies, chickens, barn cats and a whole herd of dairy cows. So can anyone tell me why I now have two 4 week old kittens in a dog crate taking up half of Super O!'s bedroom? And why does she think we'll be able to keep them when they grow up?

Let me back up a minute. My farmer found kittens (or "tittens" in Super O! speak) in the hay mow. He actually found several of them...the only problem is that only two were alive. We're not sure if the tom cat got the babies or what happened. The two that were alive are poor sick little babies. Their eyes are gooped shut and they have colds. With this weather, it's no wonder they're sick. As soon as I saw them my mommy instincts kicked in. I got a warm washcloth and cleaned their eyes and noses. Then they purred and cuddled. How could I let them go back to the hay mow to get sicker...or to let the predator get them?

So now we have two kittens in a dog crate taking up half of Super O!'s bedroom. And my checkbook is about $40 lighter (I had to get kitty formula and a feeding bottle, eye drops, food and litter). Super O! thinks they'll grow up and sleep with her and be her best friends and they'll let her dress them up and dance with her. (These are things her dogs won't do...and they started out as her best friends too!).

I'm inclined to find them homes when they get bigger and stronger and my farmer isn't objecting to that line of thinking. I really don't want to deal with litter and hair all over the place. Super O! says she'll take care of them, but she said that about the dogs and the hamster too. She is only 5 but she's old enough to feed her animals. Do I really want to take care of two more animals?

They really are cute though...

UPDATE!! - I found homes for both kitties. One of the guys I work with took one for his wife and the other went to one of Super O!'s daycare teachers. Both families LOVE their new babies and hopefully the titties are happy too!

1 comment:

  1. well, you did the only right thing saving them, and when they are old enough to be adopted, you'll cross that bridge when you come to it, right?

    And I love the sound of your life! I want chickens and ponies and dogs... I know, the former two come with lots of poo. Husband and I are beginning to look for places to buy land so we can have your life, lol!

    hugs, Syd

    ReplyDelete